skip to main content

Homelessness: advice and support

If you're at risk of becoming homeless, your local authority can provide advice and support on:

  • what your rights are to stay in your home
  • your housing options
  • preventing eviction

If you're unable to find anywhere to live, you can get help from your local council if you:

  • are eligible
  • are legally homeless
  • have been threatened with homelessness

How much help you get depends on your circumstances.

Emergency housing

If you're likely to be homeless, you might be eligible for temporary accommodation from your local council. They will look at your circumstances and assess if you're eligible for help.

Contact your local council for more information and homelessness advice.

Essex Floating Support Service

This free service gives housing related support, including how to:

  • maintain your tenancy and prevent homelessness
  • budget your money
  • manage debt
  • claim welfare benefits

To access this service, contact:

One Support if you live in North East or Mid Essex (includes Braintree, Chelmsford, Colchester, Maldon and Tendring).

Peabody if you live in South and West Essex (includes Basildon, Brentwood, Castle Point, Epping Forest, Harlow, Rochford and Uttlesford).

More information

GOV.UK has guidance on emergency housing if you're homeless.

Shelter gives advice on getting help from your local council.

Citizens Advice offers advice on applying for homeless help.

StreetLink helps people who are sleeping rough to connect with local support services. Get advice if you're worried about someone else who is sleeping rough.

Related content

Housing association homes

Local authority housing

Private renting

Money and debt

Obtaining legal advice

rating button