skip to main content

Private renting

If you're looking for somewhere to live, you should consider renting from a private landlord.

You can find private accommodation from local papers, local shop windows, letting agencies, estate agents and online.

Some private landlords don't rent to tenants on housing benefit. Shelter offers advice on how to rent when a landlord won't accept housing benefit.

Most private landlords require you to pay a deposit and rent in advance before you move in. Your local council might be able to help you pay the deposit. 

You may be eligible for Housing Benefit to help pay for your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances, and the local housing allowance.

Contact your local council for information and advice.

More information

GOV.UK has more information on:

Shelter gives advice on renting private accommodation.

Citizens Advice provides advice on renting from a private landlord.

rating button