skip to main content

Supported living for people with disabilities

Supported living is housing for people with disabilities who want to live independently but may need some help and support.

There are 2 types of properties:

  • shared houses, usually with 2 to 4 tenants living together with their own bedrooms and sharing a communal space
  • single occupancy units, where people have their own property within a group of other single occupancy properties

In this type of housing the landlord and the support provider are separate.

Get a care needs assessment

You will need a health and social care assessment to find out what care and support you need. Social services will let you know if supported living is a good housing option to meet your needs.

Contact Essex County Council adult social care for a chat about your care and support needs. 

Paying for supported living

If you move into a supported living property, you'll have to pay rent which may include:

    • service charge to cover the property or scheme manager
    • general maintenance of the property

If you're eligible for Housing Benefit, you might be able to claim this towards the cost of your rent.

More information

 NHS Choices has information on supported living services.

 Mencap offers support on supported living services.


rating button