skip to main content

Adapting your home

You can make changes to your home to help manage everyday tasks and stay independent. First you will need advice from a trained health or social care professional, like an occupational therapist, equipment providers or qualified builders and tradespeople.

If you live in rented property you may need to seek your landlord's permission to make changes.

Minor adaptations

These are small changes that can be made to your home, for example:

  • grab rails around the bath, shower or toilet 
  • grab rails by the front or back door
  • additional stair rails
  • small steps to doors

Major adaptations

These are significant changes and cost more, for example:

  • level access showers or wet rooms
  • stairlifts or through-floor lifts
  • wheelchair ramps
  • widening doorways 
  • adapting kitchens

Support from Essex County Council

You could get support for minor adaptations costing up to £1000. You can ask Essex County Council Adult Social Care to carry out an assessment to see if minor adaptations will help you manage everyday tasks at home.

Grants to adapt your home

If you're disabled or have a long-term health condition and need to make changes to your home, you may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant. You will need an assessment by an occupational therapist to see if you are eligible.

How much can I get?

How much you get depends on your financial circumstances and you may need to pay towards the cost. If you're eligible, you can get a grant for home adaptations of up to £30,000 from your local council.

Any recommendations as a result of your assessment will be made to your local council. 

Request an assessment

To request an occupational therapy assessment, contact Essex County Council Adult Social Care.

Paying for home adaptations yourself

You can choose to make the changes yourself. You can buy products and services online.

The Disabled Living Foundation gives information, advice and a list of suppliers to help you choose.

Find tradespeople near you:

More information and advice

Age UK gives advice on types of home adaptations to help make your home life easier.

Independent Age has guidance on 'Adapting your home to stay independent'.


rating button