skip to main content


For information on a specific type of disability, and where to get local support, see the following:

Care and support needs

If you have a disability or care for someone with a disability, we may be able to provide you with care and support.  You would first need to have a needs assessment to determine the level of care and support you need. 


If you think you may need care and support from us, you can ask for a needs assessment.


If you care for someone with a disability, you can ask for a carer's assessment.

See also Looking after someone.

Young carers:

If you are under 18, and you look after someone in your family who is ill or disabled, you can ask for a Young carer's assessment.

See also Healthwatch's Guide for young people with disabilities.

Carers of a child with a disability:

If you are a parent or guardian of a disabled child under 18, you can ask for a needs assessment.  You also have the right to ask for a separate carer's assessment if the assessment for the child does not fully meet all of your needs.

See also Parent carers of disabled children.

Paying for your care

If it is determined you need care and support, a financial assessment would be carried out to see how much the council will pay towards the cost of your care.

Most people have to pay something towards their care.

Things to help you live independently

If you are struggling with everyday tasks at home, there is lots of help and support for you.

See our section on Staying in your own home.

Related links

For information, advice and guidance on other related matters, see the following pages:

rating button