skip to main content

Emergency or crisis help

When you or someone that you care for is having extreme mental health difficulties, you may need to get help very quickly.

Here's what you should do if the problem is:

Serious or life threatening


  • Call your mental health support worker, if you have one.  This may be your care co-ordinator or key worker
  • Call NHS 111: This NHS service is available 24 hours a day 
  • Book an emergency GP appointment: They should be able to offer you an appointment in a crisis with the first available doctor
  • Call Adult Social Care at Essex County Council on 0345 603 7630 or 0345 606 1212 (outside of normal working hours).
  • Call the Crisis Team at EPUT (for Adults) or the Crisis Support Service (for Young People) on 0300 555 1201.
NHS Choices has a mental health helpline page with a list of organisations you can call for immediate assistance. 
rating button