Looking after someone else can be very costly. This is especially challenging if you're struggling to balance your work life with your caring responsibilities. It's important to know that there is financial support and help available to you.
You can find information here about what financial support you may be entitled to if you're looking after someone, and how you can apply for it.
Carers UK provide advice and information on benefits for carers as well as other carer issues. They also have a helpline on: 0808 808 7777.
The Department for Work and Pensions Carers' Allowance Unit provide advice on Carers' Allowance, tel: 0345 608 4321, textphone: 0345 604 5312. The phone lines are open Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm and Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm, email: email@example.com
Help to claim all of your benefits
Visit the Claiming All of Your Benefits page for information and support about how to ensure you are claiming all the benefits you may be entitled to.
There are a number of Carer Support Groups and organisations across Essex who are designed to help carers through local informal and formal networking groups. These include:
If you need advice and information on support for carers from Social Care, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call: 0345 743 0430.
Other information and advice
You can get advice and support about benefits from a range of agencies including:
- Your local Citizens Advice (CA). Visit this website to find your local CA or call 03444 111 444. CA provide general advice on welfare benefits, housing, debts, immigration, and employment. They also have an online advice guide
- Age UK (for people aged 65 and over), telephone 0800 169 6565
- The Money Advice Service provides advice on most benefits issues
- The government website GOV.UK has useful information on benefits, how to claim, and what you may be entitled to
- For more information about Job Seekers Allowance, call the National Jobcentre Enquiry Line on: 0345 604 3719
- For more information about tax credits, call the Tax Credit Helpline on: 0345 300 3900