skip to main content

Parent carers of disabled children

If you are a parent or guardian who looks after a child with disabilities, a long-term health condition, or learning difficulties, there are ways to get support for you and your family.

A needs assessment from your council

The assessment will consider all the help that the disabled child needs, the needs of any other children in the family, and the help that you may need to care for the disabled child.

A health and social care assessment is carried out by social services to find out what help and support you need - like healthcare, equipment, help in your home or residential care.

The assessment will allow the Council to make decisions about the support they can provide for you and your family.

Apply for a needs assessment.

Short breaks for disabled children and their families

The Essex County Council website has information about short breaks for parents of disabled children.

A separate carer's assessment

If you are a parent carer of a disabled child under 18, you have a right to a separate carer's assessment if the assessment for the child does not fully meet all of your needs.

To arrange a carer's assessment, speak to your social worker if you have one, or contact Children's Social Care on 0345 603 7627.

Other information and advice


rating button